37 x 28.5 cm.
This photograph, though washed out and slightly out of focus, shows the Forum in a very early stage of its excavation. The tree-lined allée at left was put in by Pope Pius IX in the 1850s. The now-familiar excavations on the site would not begin until after the unification of Italy in 1870. After that, the site would begin its transformation into the familar open-air archeological complex.