Date of Original
24.8 x 18.3 cm.
This view shows the old bridge at Laufenburg; the covered end of the bridge was on what since Napoleon's time was the German side of the river. The bridge was replaced by new constuction around 1910, slightly downriver from the old one. Adjustments to the water levels of the Rhine in the 20th century have submerged the fisheries and rocky shorelines along the riverbanks that we see in Stillman's photographs.