Download Full Text (73 KB)
Melvin Dewey organized the Lake Placid Club (LPC) in 1893 on the shore of Mirror Lake. Dewey’s desire was that the Club would be a place not only of year-round relaxation but of instruction. The LPC became known for their distinctive customs and celebrations. The collection was donated by Smiley Brothers, Inc. whom inherited them from Daniel Smiley, former owner of Mohonk Mountain House.
The collection consists of primarily printed materials, newsletters, menus, rates and pamphlets listing and describing Club activities. Many of the contents are written in “Simpler spelling,” a reformed method which sought to eliminate duplicated, unpronounced letters and any ambiguity in pronunciation.
Lake Placid Club, Ephemera, Publications, Newsletters, Adirondack Mountains
Amodeo, Margie, "Lake Placid Club Publications, 1898-1946" (2013). Finding Aids. 16.